Have you spilt a drink while in bed and are now wondering how to dry clean a mattress? You’ve come to the right place. In this guide, we’ll talk about;
- The different ways to clean a mattress
- Recommended mattress cleaners
- How you can keep your mattress clean
- How to get stains out of a mattress
- How to freshen a mattress naturally
The way to clean a mattress is to address the stains and perform a surface-level cleaning. You shouldn’t wash your mattress because it is essentially like a giant sponge, and any unwrung water would be left there accumulating bacteria.
How to clean a white mattress
How do you wash a mattress? You don’t wash a mattress.
You want to avoid getting water deep within the layers as it’s essentially a giant sponge that is difficult to wring out.
For mattress cleaning methods, you have to attack the stain at hand.
How to deep clean a mattress
The process of how to thoroughly clean a mattress involves deep cleaning it.
- First, strip your mattress from any beddings or accessories. Wash the beddings according to the care instructions.
- After that, check the care guide of your mattress so that you’re aware of dos and don’ts.
Be sure to know what your manufacturer recommends.
- Air out your mattress by opening the windows of your room to remove any odours.
- Vacuum the mattress thoroughly using circular motions to get rid of hair, dust, or dead skin.
- Stains should always be addressed immediately, but you can try getting them out using a steam cleaner if there are any old dried up stains.
- Sprinkle baking soda all over the bed and then let it sit there for a while. Vacuum the baking soda afterwards.
- If your bed is double-sided, flip the mattress and then repeat steps 5 to 7. If it is one-sided, you can just vacuum the backside to get rid of hair and dust.
- Clean the bed frame by vacuuming it.
- Replace the bedding or sheets or put back the clean ones from the dryer.
How to clean dirty mattress
A deep cleaning process is recommended when cleaning a dirty mattress. If it is too dirty that even a deep clean cannot save it, consider replacing it with a brand new mattress.
How to fumigate a mattress
Fumigation involves the process of vacuuming to get rid of dead bugs, dried skin cells, and dust.
- Remove all your beddings first, and place them in the wash.
- Vacuum all sides of the mattresses. The crevice attachment of the vacuum is handy in reaching the nooks and crannies.
- Deep clean both sides and edges using a steam cleaner.
- In a bucket, mix ½ cup of borax into a gallon of water. Pour this mixture into a spray bottle.
- Spray both sides of the mattress generously until the surface is damp.
- Move the bed outside or into a garage and then prop it up into a wall to dry.
How to sanitise a mattress at home
Here is how you can sanitise your bed at home.
- Mix ½ cup of vinegar and a cup of water into a spray bottle.
- Mist the solution into the mattress.
- Let it sit for around 30 minutes.
- Using a dry clean cloth or paper towels, gently dab the surface of the bed.
How to clean your mattress at home
It is possible to clean your mattress with just household items.
Simply air out the bed, vacuum both sides if applicable, and then treat any old stains.
What can I use to clean a mattress?
There are many household items that you can use when cleaning a mattress.
- Cleaning agents such as cleaning liquids, baking soda, lemon juice, and warm water come in handy.
- Paper towels, sponges, and cloths are suitable for dabbing and blotting.
- A vacuum and a steam cleaner are handy appliances that can help in deep-cleaning the bed.
How to whiten a mattress
Instead of bleaching or trying anything with ammonia, you are recommended to spot-treat stains.
This is an excellent way to get rid of the yellowish stains on a bed.
- Mix one cup of baking soda and water into a bowl to form a paste.
- Place the paste directly into the stain and let sit for about 30 minutes.
- Wipe the paste and the stain off with a damp cloth.
How to shampoo a mattress
Not all mattresses can be shampooed. Also, keep in mind that your shampoo cleaner should contain ingredients that are friendly to the skin
- Soak the stained area first with the carpet cleaner’s soap dispenser.
- Scrub the stain using the brush attachment.
- Extract the dirty liquid with the carpet cleaner.
How to clean mattress with hydrogen peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is a bleaching agent and would change the colour of a mattress, so be sure to use it carefully.
- Mix 4 ounces of cornstarch, 1 tablespoon of salt, and 2 ounces of hydrogen peroxide together to form a paste.
- Apply the paste directly onto the stain.
- Wait for the paste to completely dry.
- Scrape off the remaining paste and then vacuum anything that is left.
- If the stain is still there, repeat the process.
How to spot clean a mattress
Spot cleaning a mattress is the process of addressing the stains in it.
This is an all-around method that can get rid of most stains.
- Dilute washing liquid with water and then carefully apply it onto the stain using a sponge.
- Let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes before dabbing it off with a damp cloth.
- Repeat the process until the stain has disappeared.
How to remove old stains from a mattress
Stains should be removed as soon as they occur. However, if you are facing an old stain, here is are ways that you can try to remove it.
- Here are household remedies you can try for specific kinds of stains.
If it is blood, soak the dried stain with baking soda and two parts cold water.
If you are dealing with urine, soak the stain first using a mixture of two cups of water, a cup of distilled white vinegar, and 2-3 tablespoons of washing detergent.
- If none of the regular household cleaning methods works, you can try renting a steam cleaner which is a more powerful cleaning tool.
There are many products that you can use to clean your mattress.
You can use cleaning agents already around your home or buy specific products made for this particular purpose.
Best stain remover for mattress
There are lots of excellent stain removers in the market.
Inspired Professional Mattress Stain Remover is a favourite among Amazon shoppers.
It is a potent cleaning agent and can remove any stubborn stain.
What can I use to clean a mattress?
There are many cleaning items and products that you can use.
- There are household items that you can use to clean your mattress.
These are items that you probably have lying around your house and can easily be accessed to address any unfortunate accidents, such as baking soda, lemon juice, and vinegar.
- There are also appliances and products for deep mattress cleaning, such as vacuum and steam cleaners.
How to keep the mattress clean
You can also invest in mattress toppers and bed protectors, which keep your bed fresh for longer, besides washing it regularly and not bringing in dusty items on top of it like outdoor shoes.
A protector is a sheet that fits on top of your mattress, keeping it fresh for longer.
Waterproof mattress protectors are also a good investment as they prevent stains from seeping through the layers of the bed.
A mattress toppers is similar to a thinner mini-mattress that you can add to bring extra bounce and support to your bed.
This is also an effective way to shield your actual mattress from stains as you place extra layers on top.
How to get mattress stains out
The process of addressing stains is step-by-step, and the recommended cleaning materials to be used for each mattress depend on the type of stain.
How to get sweat stains out of a mattress
Sweat stains are one of the causes of yellowing in mattresses. To remove the yellow stains from a mattress? There are various household concoctions that you can mix up as a mattress stain remover. Generally, the method defers according to the liquid that caused the stain.
Here is how you can get rid of them.
- Mix 1 cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide, three tablespoons baking soda, and a couple of drops from the washing liquid. Pour this mixture into a spray bottle.
- Spray the whole area of the sweat stain until damp.
- Let the mattress dry.
How to remove water stains from mattress
Even if water is colourless, it could still leave a stain on your bed, primarily if it interacts with dust.
Here is an easy way to get rid of water stains.
- Protect your hands using rubber gloves, and then using a sponge, dab pure vinegar into the stain.
- Let the area soak for about 5 minutes. Afterwards, blot it dry.
- Air out the mattress to allow the stain to dry completely and get t rid of the vinegar smell.
How to remove stains from pillow top mattress
For pillow-top mattresses, be sure to check the care guide for proper instructions.
This is the stain removal method that Cleanipedia suggests.
- Dab a small drop of liquid detergent on the stain using a sponge.
- Massage the sponge around the surface to soak deeper on areas where the stain might have crept into.
Remember to avoid rubbing, wiping, or scrubbing, as this could just potentially spread the stain.
- Use a clean, dry cloth to remove any excess of the cleaning product.
- Let the mattress dry by airing it.
How to remove stains from mattress cover
The good news is that mattress covers are much easier to clean as compared to a mattress.
- You can easily pop it in the washing machine according to its care instructions.
- When tackling stains immediately, you can gently dabble a water and soap solution using a scrub or a sponge onto the area.
How to remove oil from mattress
When dealing with oil stains, you want to break down the oil using liquid soap. This step-by-step method should get rid of oil stains.
- First, blot the excess oil using a paper towel.
- And then, cover the surface with baking soda for at least 60 minutes.
- Afterwards, remove the baking soda thoroughly using a vacuum cleaner.
- Dampen the area with water and then sprinkle around ½ tablespoon onto it.
- Lastly, scrub the detergent off using a scrub or a cloth.
How to clean yellow stains on the mattress
Many kinds of liquids may cause yellowing on a mattress, such as urine, sweat, and water stains.
This is an all-around cleaning method that can get out most yellow stains.
- Mix 3% hydrogen peroxide, water, baking soda, and a few drops of dishwashing liquid. Transfer the solution into a spray bottle.
- Spray the stained area until damp.
- Let it sit there until the bed naturally dries.
How to clean mattress pad stains
A mattress pad is a layer of madding that is meant to make your bed feel softer. Because it is thinner than mattress toppers, it is relatively easy to clean.
Many mattress pads can be tossed in the machine for a quick wash to eliminate the stain.
How to get stains out of mattress protector
Most mattress protectors are waterproof, so stains shouldn’t settle on them as much.
Immediately toss it into the machine for a quick cycle after an accident to remove the stain.
How to clean a mattress with baking soda
Baking soda is a powerful cleaning agent, and here is an effective way to use it to address stains, specifically urine.
- Mix equal parts water and vinegar into a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution onto the stain and blot the excess with a clean cloth.
- Cover the stain with baking soda and let sit for about an hour. Vacuum the excess.
How to clean a mattress without baking soda
If you do not have baking soda at hand and need to clean a stain immediately, this is an effective way that you can do so.
- First, dilute washing liquid, vinegar, or stain remover with water and then place it onto a spray bottle.
- Let it sit for about 5 to 10 minutes before blotting it off with paper towels.
- Repeat the process until the stain disappears.
How to freshen a mattress naturally
If you want to freshen your mattress, here is an effective way you can do it.
- Deodorise your bed by sprinkling baking soda all over. Let it sit there until you’re ready to make your bed.
- Vacuum the excess baking soda.
- Make a habit of regularly cleaning your beddings and sheets while you air your bed for regular freshness.