There are many people that enjoy sleeping on a mattress that is firm. However, if you have been feeling discomfort in your back or neck when you wake up from a night’s sleep, and you think it’s too firm. It may be time to adjust the firmness of your bed. Here are some signs that show it is time for a new mattress:
- You have a hard time sleeping through the night because you keep waking up from discomfort.
- Your back or neck hurts too much to get out of bed.
- You wake up feeling more tired than you did the night before because it is hard for your muscles and joints to relax on a firm mattress.
- If you are having any of these problems, consider doing some research on mattresses that offer different levels of softness/firmness so you can find one that works for you and your partner.
- You may also want to consider getting a mattress topper or an adjustable bed so you can set the firmness of your bed exactly where it feels best.
Doctors advise on a firm mattress
Please note these are only quotes we have researched, every chase is unique and if you are experiencing any pain or discomfort speak to a professional.
Back pain and backaches: The mattress is too firm for your body type. As an example, if you are a side sleeper or back sleeper, then this kind of mattress will provide less support than the one that suits you best. The same goes for any other sleeping position.
Legs getting numb when waking up in the morning: The mattress is too firm and the filling was not properly designed to support your body type.
- The need to keep adjusting yourself during the night
- You are not getting comfortable on a mattress that is too firm.
- A feeling of pressure points forming in specific areas of your body
- A mattress that is not providing enough support will cause this sensation, as well as damage to the spine and muscles over time.
- Sleeping with additional pillows or other ways of making up for how uncomfortable the bed feels
Having to sleep in the same position every night because it is more comfortable: If you find yourself sleeping statically on a mattress that is too firm, then there’s a problem and your body needs more support.
A quick way to tell if your mattress is too firm
Try sleeping on a different mattress for a night or two and compare it to your current mattress. Is it more comfortable? Did you have a better night’s sleep?
If the answer is yes and the mattress is softer, it might be time for a change.
You may also want to do some research and speak with other people about their experiences regarding how long they’ve had their current mattress. If you do not have an awesome sleep partner, then ask your friends or family members how long they’ve had their current bed and if it has helped with any pain issues with a firm mattress.
Ways to fix a firm mattress
There are two main ways to correct a firm mattress:
Change the number of layers on the mattress. This is best done with a mattress topper or mattress pad. A memory foam topper will add more softness and sinkage where you need it most while maintaining all other benefits such as support and durability.
We also have a post on how to make a firm mattress softer, if you haven’t found what you’re looking for.
Change your mattress. If you’re getting poor sleep quality a new mattress will do wonders, after all, we spend a third of our life sleeping. There’s no point in being uncomfortable and ruining your day. We have a list of the best mattress in a box brands in the UK that you can choose from. Most of them are high-quality and more affordable than traditional mattress companies.
Please note that choosing either one or both options will increase costs, however, it may be worth it if you find yourself sleeping poorly at night.